Wednesday, June 26, 2013

we've got some crawling action, folks!

So this past weekend, Benjamin decided to do some crawling!  ("normal", on all fours, crawling!) He's been using the "Lieutenant Dan" scooting method for almost two months now, and we weren't sure that he was going to take the time/effort to learn to crawl, because the scooting was so effective.  But low and behold, he surprised us this weekend and did it!  We were at mom and dad's for the weekend, celebrating my 15-year HS reunion - man, I'm getting old! On Friday night, Benjamin was in the giant sandbox and became sort of "stuck" on a pile of sand, so he started rocking forward and sort of crawled for 2 seconds, then stopped. (not sure that we can chalk this up as "crawling", but it was something close!) Then on Saturday morning, we were sitting in the piano room and he leaned forward onto all-fours and just started right across the room into a full crawl!  I think that I screamed and then started clapping wildly... he might have been thinking "Mommy's lost it!"  I'm just thankful that I didn't startle him to a stop!

This is kind of a big deal for him.  At Benjamin's 1-year check-up, it had been suggested that he have an MRI done, because he wasn't walking or crawling yet, and also the continual growth of his head circumference.  For several reasons, we opted to not have this test done.  We got a second opinion from another great doctor and she said that if he wasn't doing anything by his 16-month check-up, she would recommend an MRI at that point.  His check-up is scheduled for July 1... six days from today!  We've prayed so much about this whole scenario, that he would start moving and that his health would be perfect and that we would have a peace about not doing the MRI.  We both felt good about it, but I think that being with our little man all day, every day, and not seeing him crawl, was starting to get to me... some form of "mommy guilt" that was starting to edge in... still praying each day that we made the right choice to not have the MRI and that there wasn't something wrong/that he wasn't in any pain that we were unaware of.  So seeing him work his way across the floor on Saturday was a huge blessing to me, a huge relief... and he did it as if it was SO easy, like he'd been observing/planning it all along and finally decided to give it a try.  Little scoot.  :-)

So I really wanted to include a video of Benjamin crawling but haven't captured it yet... it seems like he starts to crawl when I don't have the camera with me... so I run out to get it, and then he stops as soon as he sees the camera and starts making his "cheeeeeeese" sound/smile.  Adorable, but not crawling.  So no video evidence yet. But I promise you, he did it.  :-)

1 comment:

The Hartsocks said...

yay Benjamin! colette, i so identify with your worries . . . B was very delayed in speaking, and it is so hard not to be anxious. hope all goes well at the 16 mth check up!